Food - News

Why Eating Leftover Rice Can Be Dangerous

Food preparation and storage can be tricky because different foods require different storage methods, and ignoring these methods can lead to serious consequences. If you consume rice that has been left on a table or counter for an extended time, you could be subjecting yourself to a serious illness.

You might not immediately think of rice when you think about ingredients that can lead to food poisoning. However, according to the United Kingdom's NHS website, rice can harbor dangerous spores that have the potential to grow into harmful bacteria if given the chance.

Though you should ideally eat rice as soon as it's done cooking, it can be hard to eat every last grain. Medical News Today recommends separating leftover rice into multiple shallow containers; this allows it to cool off faster.

Reheating rice to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit is also important for safe consumption. Real Simple suggests heating the rice in a microwave-safe container, paired with 1-2 tablespoons of water for every cup of rice because it allows the rice to steam, cook thoroughly, and prevent it from drying out.

Read More

Why Leftover Restaurant Chicken Wings Will Probably Disappoint You

Things You Should Never Put Down Your Drain

Healthy Recipes To Make For Lunch